look whose bought a donut baking tray…
I’ve always been a biscuit gal, so finding out Oreos are vegan was bloody lovely. These donuts are dairy and egg free, and can be gluten free by swapping the flour if necessary. The cacao and crushed oreos throughout the donuts give them a nice chocolatey flavour, although not too over powering.
So easy to make and no fancy kitchen equipment (other than the tin) is needed. They are pretty healthy in ingredients, well compared to a Krispy Kreme. And made in under half an hour. I think they’d be perfect for a healthy-ish snack and great for on the go.
Makes 10 donuts
takes approx. 25 minutes in total.
For the donut mixture
165g of self-raising flour (regular or gluten-free)
20g of cacao powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
3 1/2 tablespoons of coconut sugar
Pinch of salt
1 flax eggs (1 tablespoon of flaxseed and 2 tablespoons of water – set aside for 15 minutes)
100ml of almond milk (or dairy free alternative)
50ml of coconut oil (melted)
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1/2 pack of oreos (crushed)
For the icing
2 tablespoons of vegan butter
40ml of almond milk (or any dairy free)
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
200g of icing sugar
Extras for decoration
1/2 pack of oreo biscuits crushed
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/390°F, and grease your donut tray with coconut oil. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cacao powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, coconut sugar and salt.
3. Add in the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
4. Fold in 1/2 of the pack of crushed oreos.
4. Divide mixture evening into donut tray (filling them 3/4 full as they will rise).
5. Bake at 200°C/390°F for 5 minutes then reduce to 180°C/350°F for another 10-15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool completely before gently removing donuts from the tin.
7. Combine ingredients for the icing together and dip donuts in. Then sprinkle the rest of the pack of crushed oreos.
Best eaten straight away, if not store in air tight container and consume within 3 days
Please let me know your thoughts 🙂