here she is again with her donut tin…
Mixing things up with a fruitier doughnut filling this time. The combination of blueberries to coconut is delicious in my opinion. A guilt free healthy dessert or snack, these doughnuts are light and refined sugar free. The flour can be substituted for gluten free if needed. This dish is dairy and egg free. Folded blueberries throughout the dough makes the texture spongey and gooey in places. I’ve decided I’m yet to eat a blueberry dessert that I dislike. You can’t go wrong with a blueberry!
Makes 10 donuts
takes approx. 25 minutes in total.
For the donut mixture
130g flour/wholemeal or plain flour
70g coconut flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
220ml non dairy yoghurt (I used alpro)
50ml coconut oil (melted)
1 flax egg (1 tablespoon of flaxseed plus 2 tablespoons of water – allow to set for 15 minutes)
100ml maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon almond milk
150g fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon of coconut sugar (optional)
Extras for decoration
desiccated shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/390°F, and grease your donut tray with coconut oil. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the yoghurt, milk, oil, flax egg, maple syrup, vanilla extract until smooth. Add in the flours, coconut sugar, bicarbonate of soda and salt; mix until just combined.
3. Fold in 3/4 of the blueberries.
4. Divide mixture evening into donut tray. Donut over fill the hole. They will rise in the oven.
5. Bake at 200°C/390°F for 5 minutes then reduce to 180°C/350°F for another 10-15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool completely before gently removing donuts from the tin.
7. Dust with desiccated coconut and the rest of the blueberries as you desire.
The mixture will be quite thick and dry. Donut panic (hehe).
Please let me know your thoughts. Take a look at my Instagram @lucyhosier 🙂