Birthday Banana Bread for Bella!
Before turning vegan, one of my go-to bakes was always a banana loaf. The best non-vegan recipe I had come across was by Hazel Wallace (also known as The Food Medic). So I’ve tried to create something similar without the eggs. I’ve also used almond flour to give it a grainier texture.
This loaf was baked especially for my little cousins 18th (Happy Birthday Bella!), so I was unable to take a picture of the inside (sorry!). But I can assure you it is full of chocolate-y/banana goodness. No refined sugars and can be made gluten free if needed. I used gluten free oats in this so my mum could have a slice (she’s a coeliac).
Banana bread is probably one of the easiest dishes to bake. You literally chuck everything together, give it a mix and put in the oven. No excuses to not make this healthy banana bread.
Makes 1 loaf (feeds approx. 10)
takes approx. 1 hour
1 flax egg (1 tablespoon of flaxseed soaked in 2 tablespoons of water for 15 minutes)
3 medium ripe bananas (mashed) plus 1 for top (whole)
2 teaspoons of baking powder
pinch of salt
80g of coconut oil (melted)
35g coconut sugar
1 tablespoon of maple syrup
120ml unsweetened almond milk (or other dairy free equivalent)
145g almond flour (ground almonds in food processor)
30g cacao powder
90g ground oats (gluten free if required)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
sprinkle of cacao nibs
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F, and line your loaf tin with parchment paper or grease with oil of choice.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add flax egg, mashed bananas, baking powder, salt, coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup, almond milk, almond flour, cacao powder, vanilla extract and oats. Combine thoroughly.
3. Empty mixture into loaf tin. Cut your 4th banana into half and push into top of mixture. Sprinkle some cacao nibs on top.
4. Bake in oven covered for 50 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean when it is cooked.
5. Leave to cool completely before taking out of loaf tin.
Best eaten when fresh but seal leftovers in air tight container for 3-5 days (if you can make it last that long).
Please let me know your thoughts. Share and tag me in your pictures 🙂