perfect sharing dish, if you dare to share
This dish is perfect for sharing either as a main or as a starter. With a kinda Mexican theme with my spicy protein filled black beans, this dish is vibrant in colour and flavours. Super easy to make, and fun to assemble, these fries will be hoovered up by all in no time.
The cashew drizzle adds a nice creaminess to the dish and again is super easy to make. Devour them as you wish, but be prepared it can get a bit messy if you’re using your fingers. This recipe proves that following a plant-based diet doesn’t have to be at all boring. The possibilities and combinations of foods are endless.
should serve 4 but two of us hoovered it up
takes approx. 45 minutes in total.
4 sweet potatoes (skin on, washed and cut into chips (sticks))
1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed) – optional seasoning to cook them in below
1 green pepper (diced)
1 red pepper (diced)
1/2 a red onion (finely diced)
2 large tomatoes (finely diced)
1 avocado (cut into chunks)
a handful of chopped chives
oil of choice (I used coconut 1kcal spray)
sprinkle of salt
Seasoning for the Black Beans
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 clove of garlic (chopped or crushed)
1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon of chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 tablespoon of ketchup
1/4 tablespoon of tomato puree
pinch of salt and pepper
For the Sour Cream Drizzle
140g cashew nuts (soaked in boiling water for half an hour)
Juice of ½ lemon
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/390°F.
2. Put your sweet potato fries on a baking tray and add some oil of choice and a sprinkle of salt. Cook in oven for 35 minutes, ensuring that you turn the fries over half way through cooking.
3. Meanwhile, make your Sour Cream drizzle by adding all of the ingredients in a food processor/blender and blitzing until a sauce like consistency is formed. Add more water if too thick.
4. In a pan, add your black beans and seasoning. Combine thoroughly and sauté for 5-7 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in a separate pan sauté your peppers.
6. Combine together your diced onions and tomatoes with squeeze of lime juice.
7. Take your fries out of the oven and lay them on a plate. Then load them up with your toppings as you wish.
8. Finish by drizzling with your sour cream drizzle and chopped chives.
Enjoy! – share and tag your creations with me on Instagram @whatluceeats