Rolos with a twist. Saying goodbye to that sugary caramel filling and hello to a naturally sweetened one. Don’t get me wrong, rolos are great. But what’s greater is eating a modified version which is made from fruit, and is dairy free for us vegans. Feel free to swap for milk chocolate should you not be vegan.
Dates create the backbone for many of my healthy desserts and bakes. They are so versatile and add sweetness to the dish. They are full of vitamins and minerals, especially fibre. Which is needed to keep those bowel movements nice and regular – sorry for the TMI! Dates are super sticky so are great for combining other ingredients together.
Made with 5 simple ingredients, and no baking required, just a freezer. These homemade rolos can be enjoyed guilt free and perfect for a healthy snack or for pre/post workout. Similarly to my Almond Butter Stuffed Dates and Healthy Vegan Ferrero Rocher. Not even being biased, I actually prefer these to normal rolos!
makes 18 rolos
takes approx. 50 minutes in total.
For the filling
200g dates(soaked in boiling water for 15 minutes and drained)
1 1/2 teaspoons peanut butter or almond butter
pinch of salt
For the chocolate coating
100g dark chocolate
1 tablespoon of coconut oil (melted)
To make the filling
1. In a food processor blitz your drained dates until a sticky paste is formed.
2. Add your nut butter and salt and process until thoroughly combined.
3. Empty mixture into a bowl and place in freezer for 20 minutes.
4. Line a baking tray/plate with parchment paper and roll your filling into small balls. Place them back into the freezer for 10 minutes.
To make the chocolate coating
1. Melt your dark chocolate and combine with melted coconut oil.
1.Remove the balls from the freezer and dip each ball into the melted chocolate until the whole ball is covered.
2. Shake off any excess chocolate and stick a toothpick in each ball.
3. Place your rolos back in the freezer for approx. 15-20 minutes until the chocolate has set.
Placing your filling mixture into the freezer before you roll makes the mixture easier to form into balls.
Best eaten straight from the freezer!
Enjoy! – share and tag your creations with me on Instagram @whatluceeats