So after following a couple of different recipes I found online, I baked a chocolate oreo cake for my brothers birthday at the weekend. In a rush, there was no time to create a recipe of my own. But the cake turned out great, and catered for my vegan-ness and my mums gluten free-ness (apart from the oreo biscuits). There was so much of the chocolate frosting left over that it seemed such a waste to throw it away. It needed to be put to use. Click here for the frosting recipe! I adjusted it slightly by adding some 80% dark chocolate and less cacao powder to give it a darker colour.
And why not put it on some healthy protein filled bars. Disclaimer – the frosting contains icing sugar so isn’t really of the healthy variety. But the bars are healthy so who cares!
The bars are simple in ingredients and here is what each ingredient brings to the table:
- dates – natural sweetener providing a nice sticky texture
- cashew nuts – protein and healthy fats
- cacao powder – packed with antioxidants and giving a chocolate flavour
- protein powder – additional protein. I use awesomesupps
No baking is required making these bars quick and easy to make. They are pretty sticky which makes them even more delicious, so I find that storing them in the freezer works better.
Makes 16 bars
takes approx. 45 minutes in total.
250g dates (soaked in boiling water for 15 minutes and drained)
375g cashew nuts
25g cacao powder
30g (1 scoop) of vegan protein powder
120ml approx. of water
chocolate frosting (recipe found above)
1. Line an 8″ x 8″ baking tray with parchment paper or grease with coconut oil (if base is detachable).
2. In a food processor blitz your dates, roughly half of your cashew nuts, cacao powder, protein powder and water until combined.
2. Then add the rest of your cashew nuts and blitz further. You still want some chunks within.
3. Empty mixture into baking tray, spread evenly and flatten. Place in freezer whilst you create the frosting.
4. Create your chocolate frosting and empty on top of base. Spread evenly again before placing back into freezer to set for approx. 30 minutes.
5. Slice and enjoy!
Store in fridge or freezer and consume within 5 days.
Enjoy! – share and tag your creations with me on Instagram @whatluceeats