A Bowl with a mexican twist.
This dish is packed with flavour and full of nutritious components which make this dinner super healthy.
The tofu substitutes the meat that is sold in high street chains such as ‘Tortilla’, and the flavours are taste are tonnes better in my opinion.
Crumbling the tofu again like I did in my Tofu Tacos is delicious, and the crumbling increases the surface area and therefore allows the spices to be fully absorbed. Proving tofu’s versatility yet again!
The peppers, onions and sweetcorn add colour and crunch and the homemade guacamole adds some creaminess. Load up the bowls before you serve them or let everyone build their own bowl themselves. Perfect for feeding the family or fussy eaters.
feeds 2 people
takes approx. 30 minutes in total.
For the Smoked Tofu
1 block of firm tofu (I used smoked tofooco for added smoky flavour)
3 tablespoons of salsa
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder
1 teaspoon of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of garlic granules/powder
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
For the Guacamole
1 large ripe avocado
1 small tomato (finely diced)
sprinkle of chilli flakes
For the rest
1 red pepper (diced)
1 yellow pepper (diced)
1 onion (diced)
1/2 a can of sweetcorn
Spring onions (sliced)
To make the Smoked Tofu
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
2. In a bowl add your soy sauce, chilli powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper and garlic granules. Coming thoroughly.
3. Next crumble your tofu into tiny pieces and empty in your bowl with the seasoning. Mix well.
4. On a lined baking tray, add your crumbled tofu and spread evenly across the tray.
5. Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Keep an eye on the tofu to ensure it doesn’t burn. Toss and stir the tofu every 5 minutes or so.
6. Take tofu out of oven and stir in your salsa until combined. Feel free to heat in saucepan on a medium heat to warm the tofu/salsa some more.
For the Guacamole
1. Cut your avocado into chunks and add to a bowl.
2. Simply add your tomato and chilli flakes and mix/crush with a fork until you reach a creamy consistency. Alternatively place in a food processor and blitz.
To make the rest
1. In a pan on a medium heat add your peppers and onions. Sauté for a couple of minutes before adding your sweetcorn.
Feel free to load ya bowl as you wish but I loaded mine like this:
1. Layer your bowl with some shredded lettuce.
2. In a bowl combine your rice, peppers, onion and corn and then add this on top of your lettuce.
3. Next pile on your crumbled tofu and top with a dollop of the homemade guacamole.
4. Sprinkle with coriander and some more chilli flakes (should you wish), followed by a squeeze of lime.
Enjoy! Share and tag your creations with me on Instagram @whatluceeats