naturally sweetened gooey flapjacks…
Dates being the natural sweetener of this recipe, no refined sugars are needed to create the base of these delicious flapjacks. They are rich in minerals, vitamins and fibre. And are commonly known for relieving constipation (sorry not sorry). They provide the gooeyness to this recipe and bind all of the other ingredients together.
These flapjacks are healthy in ingredients and again super easy to make. The oats provide fibre and keep you full making them perfect for a healthy snack, dessert or even a pre workout. Of course I’ve added a chocolate layer on top which adds richness, but feel free to omit the chocolate layer. I’ve included some crushed walnuts to give it a slight nutty texture.
Makes 12 flapjacks
takes approx. 40 minutes (not including letting cool before you add chocolate layer)
300g oats (use gluten free is required)
300g pitted dates
100ml coconut oil (melted)
85g walnuts (finely crushed, I put them in a food processor)
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
For the topping
200g dark chocolate
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
75g crushed walnuts
1. Soak your dates in approx. 200ml of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain your dates.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
3. Transfer your dates into a food processor and blitz until a paste like consistency is formed.
4. Put your date paste in a bowl and add your oats, melted coconut oil, walnuts and vanilla. Combine thoroughly.
5. Grease a 8 x 8 inch (or equivalent) baking tin and add your flapjack mixture.
6. Smooth and flatten mixture and bake for 25 minutes.
7. Let cool completely before adding your chocolate layer on top plus sprinkle crushed walnuts and place in freezer for 15 minutes to set.
8. Cut into bars and store in a cool dry place.
Please let me know your thoughts. Share and tag me in your pictures 🙂