that doesn’t contain butter
Stew’s are so easy to make, and you can incorporate practically anything into them. Just choose a bean/legume and add whatever veg you fancy with a some tinned tomatoes. The butternut squash, butter beans and chickpeas make this dish extra filling and full of protein and fibre. The crispy kale gives it some crunch and the red onion and smokey chipotle paste provide a lovely flavour.
This stew is vegan and gluten free. Perfect to be eaten on it’s own or serve up with a side of veg or rice. This dish can be made in bulk and split into batches. Great for evenings on the go. Simply reheat and devour. No excuses to not make this one, as the less experienced members of the kitchen can even make this with no trouble.
You can cook everything on the hob with this dish, but should you want some of the ingredients to bring a bit of crunch and texture to the dish, then put them in the oven to roast before adding to your stew like I have.
feeds 4 people
takes approx. 45 minutes in total.
1 can of butter beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1/2 butternut squash (diced)
1 red onion (cut into wedges)
1 leek (sliced)
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
2 garlic cloves (crushed)
2 teaspoons of chipotle paste
100g of kale
oil of choice (I use 1kcal coconut spray)
2 teaspoons of paprika
sprinkle of chilli flakes
300ml of vegetable stock (1 veggie stock cube plus 300ml of boiling water)
1.Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
2. On a baking tray, add your diced butternut squash and chickpeas. Season with half of the paprika and put in oven for 35 minutes.
3. After 15 minutes of your squash and chickpeas roasting turn your hob onto a medium heat.
4. In a pan, add some oil and your garlic, onions wedges and leek and sauté for approx. 8 minutes.
5. On a separate baking tray, add your kale and spray with oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Pop in oven for 6 minutes.
5. Add your tinned tomatoes, butter beans, chipotle paste and vegetable stock to your pan on the hob and bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer for 8 minutes.
6. Add your squash, chickpeas, rest of paprika, chilli flakes and a pinch of salt. Combine thoroughly and let simmer for 10 minutes before stirring in your crispy kale and serving.
Enjoy! – share and tag your creations with me on Instagram @whatluceeats