a deliciously light flavour sensation
A spongy zesty base, topped with delicious coconut cream, this Lime and Coconut Tray bake is the perfect summer recipe. And it’s completely free from eggs, dairy and honey.
The lime and coconut combination is gorgeous, and one not to be missed. Just make sure you put the coconut cream for the topping in the fridge the night before you start baking. This is to make the cream a little firmer, and less runny for the top of the sponge.
The coconut yoghurt and banana in the sponge help to bind the ingredients together, and make it beautifully fluffy. With the zest of the lime flavouring the sponge magnificently, and adding a lovely green colour.
Makes 1 tray (approx. 9 portions)
takes approx. 60 minutes
150g oat flour (blitz oats in food processor)
1 flax egg (1 TBSP of flaxseed +2 TBSP of water left to sit for 10 minutes)
45ml coconut oil (or any oil)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
50g desiccated coconut
1 ripe banana (mashed)
50ml coconut milk
50ml coconut yoghurt
1 and 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder 40g soft brown sugar 1 400ml can coconut cream (left in fridge overnight – I used Natures Charm coconut whipping cream) coconut flakes
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F, and grease a square baking tray. Mine is 18cm by 18cm.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the flax egg, coconut oil, vanilla extract, juice of 1 lime, mashed banana, coconut milk and coconut yoghurt.
3. In a separate mixing bowl combine the oat flour, zest of 1/2 a lime, desiccated coconut, baking powder and sugar.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry and combine, before pouring into baking tray and bake for approx. 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Whisk coconut cream and put in fridge to set whilst cake bakes.
6. Leave to cool before topping with coconut cream and sprinkling with coconut flakes, and the zest of the remaining lime. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Store in airtight container in the fridge, and consume within 5 days.
Enjoy! – share and tag your creations with me on Instagram @whatluceeats